Saturday, March 13, 2010

Blood Into Wine: Must See

Maynard James Keenan makes wine.
Seriously.



"The trick is to eliminate the risk and I guess the point is that there were grapes grown in Arizona."
- M.J.Keenan 


What kept you going?. ((They asked.))
- "The investment.  You put so much time and money into it.  What are you going to do?  Walk away before you actually see what happens?  There is just no way I’m going to walk away from this.  My entire life is poured into this.  Everything I have earned is poured into the ground here."

Has it been spiritually satisfying to you, this whole process?. ((They asked.))
"Yes.  Planting anything and watching it grow or watching it not grow... it definitely affects you on some level always."

Maynard James Keenan

"And the largest battle is from people who don’t understand how much this is going to benefit the community.  People that are resistant to change and don’t realize that the house is on fire and we can’t be quibbling over whether or not you wiped your feet or not."
- M.J.Keenan

"Whatever grape is going into a bottle whatever that final blends ends up being, now it’s time to name it because I’m the storyteller and artist.

I will then listen to what’s coming from the bottle, what’s coming from the glass, and I’ll construct a story that will best describe this larger idea."
- M.J.Keenan

((Pictures taken from there too.))

Caduceus Cellars


M.J.Keenan descends from Northern Italian winemakers. 

While the winery is named after caduceus, an ancient symbol for commerce and staff of the Greek god Hermes, the vineyard is named Merkin Vineyards, after a pubic wig. 

Caduceus' first wine, the limited edition Primer Paso (2004, 2005, 2006), sold out, and was followed by a Nagual de la Naga (2004, 2005, 2006) and a Nagual del Sensei (2004, 2005). Later wines include the Nagual de la Naga (2004, 2005, 2006), Merkin Vineyards Chupacabra (2005, 2006), Merkin Vineyards Shinola (2006), Nagual del Judith (2007), and Sancha (2007).


"I'm an extremely intense and passionate person and I invest myself fully into every endeavour I undertake. Physically, emotionally, and most importantly, spiritually."
- M.J.Keenan


"My job now is to LOSTEN, As if a medium, to every detail no matter how subtle and present her story unaltered. Wish me luck."
- M.J.Keenan


"I trust my intuition. It drew me here. And it just happens, no surprise to me, that my favourite wines come from areas around the world with similar traits to Northern Arizona."
- M.J.Keenan

Wine Review for 2004 Nugual del Sensei
by Filmmaker Kris Pothier & some guy named Joe
"It makes me want to break my glass and slit my throat, so I can pour it down faster."
"This shit gives me the sweats."

Wine Review for 2005 Merkin Vineyards Chupacabra
by Filmmaker Kris Pothier & some guy named Joe
"A true breakfeast wine if there ever were one."

0 bonepepper:

Post a Comment